My family loves any type of food that has Mexican inspiration. You’ll often find us dining out at a number of local Mexican restaurants, but when we get a craving and don’t feel like getting out, it’s usually either a taco or nacho night.
A couple of nights ago I was staring at VELVEETA®, Ro*Tel® and boneless skinless chicken breast and needed to come up with something that would be easy to make and that would appeal to the children. While I was brainstorming, the idea of a casserole type dish came to mind so I decided to go that route.
In the end we had a pretty fabulous Velveeta Chicken Tortilla Bake!
Velveeta Chicken Tortilla Bake
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in to 1" strips
- 18 flour tortillas
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can Ro*Tel, undrained
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ¾ lb (12oz) Velveeta, cut in to 1" cubes
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion and bell pepper with butter. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Combine Velveeta, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken and Ro*Tel in a large pot on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Prepare a 9"x13" baking dish with butter and line the bottom of the dish with 6 flour tortillas, making sure to overlap.
- Add a layer of chicken onto the tortillas and then a layer of the cheese sauce. Repeat one more time (tortilla, chicken, cheese sauce).
- The last layer should be flour tortillas topped with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Bake for 40 minutes.