This is a partnered post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’m looking at the calendar and I’m in awe that summer is almost over for the kids. Before I know it, we will be back to early bed times, homework, and super busy days (and nights)! So I’m starting my planning early and trying to secure down a back-to-school meal plan. And because it’s so easy to make and doesn’t take much time, this Easy Skillet Steak with Onions and Mushrooms tops the list.
When creating my back-to-school meal plan, I add recipes that don’t take much time or effort in the kitchen. Because lets face it y’all, back-to-school isn’t easy on anyone. Recipes that allow me to get dinner on the table as quickly and easily as possible are my go-to’s during the busyness of back to school time.
Easy Skillet Steak with Onions and Mushrooms
- 1.5 lbs thinly sliced beef round
- 1.5 tbsps Knorr Granulated Beef Bouillon
- About 1.5 tbsps vegetable oil, divided
- ½ large onion, roughly chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Slice beef into bite-sized strips. Season with granulated beef bouillon and fresh pepper. Add ½ tablespoon vegetable oil to large skillet and heat over high heat. Add half of the beef to the skillet (or less depending on the size of your skillet) and cook for about one minute, then flip and cook an additional 30 seconds. Set aside in a large dish.
- Add another ½ tablespoon of vegetable and when the oil gets hot add the remaining steak. Cook for one minute, flip and cook 30 seconds more. If you have more steak, simply repeat this process until all the steak is cooked. Add cooked steak to the dish.
- Return skillet to heat and add vegetable oil and heat over high heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute, then stir and cook onions an additional 30 seconds or until onions are nice and golden. Add the onions to the dish with the steak.
- Lower the heat to medium and add ½ tablespoon vegetable oil to the skillet. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for about 1.5 minutes. Stir mushrooms and cook for another 1.5 minutes. Add to dish with steak and onions and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
So just like the title suggests, this is a super easy recipe and perfect for the back-to-school season. By purchasing the beef round already thinly sliced, you get to skip the pounding part which saves time and effort. When you’re looking in your store, look for the milanese beef round cuts. It’s super thin, which makes it quick to cook too!
This Easy Skillet Steak with Onions and Mushrooms recipe takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. The key is using help from the grocery store to make preparation that much easier. With the beef already thinly sliced and the mushrooms sliced and ready to use, you’ve already saved yourself quite a bit of time. If you want to save even more time, you could purchase the pre-chopped onions also.
I usually serve Easy Skillet Steak with Onions and Mushrooms with a warm kale and quinoa salad. If you want, you could also serve with a slice of freshly baked crusty bread.
At the end of the day, when all is said and done, I want to look back and know that I did the best I could do for my family. Sometimes that means taking help when it’s offered. Back-to-school time means we’re busier than ever. This year, H-E-B is taking some of the work off parents by providing quick and easy recipes. When you visit your local H-E-B, take advantage of various in-store offers, as well as digital offers on HEB.com, for up to $25 in savings on Unilever products during the Back to School Season.
I love walking the aisles of the store and seeing those yellow tags hanging on the shelves. The in-store offers make it easy to make an affordable meal the whole family loves. And knowing the deals that are approaching (see below) will make it easier for meal planning purposes!
- 7/27-8/9: Buy any Dove 10-bar and get an HEB Our Finest 6 Mega Roll Free
- 7/27-8/9: Buy (1) Knorr Granulated Bouillon 15.9oz jar, assorted varieties, get (1) Crisco 16oz Vegetable Oil Free
- 8/3-8/16: Buy (1) Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise 30oz jar or Hellmann’s Organic 15oz jar, get (1) HEB Parmesan Cheese, 3oz and (1) Progresso Bread Crumbs Free
- 8/3-8/9: $1.00 off (1) Suave Infusion Hair Product (gold bottles) excluding travel sizes
- 8/3-8/9: $1.00 off (1) Axe Shampoo, Conditioner, Styler, 2in1 or Body Wash product (excludes trial & travel sizes)
- 8/10-8/23: Buy 3 Knorr Rice Sides or Pasta Sides, 3.8-5.9oz, assorted varieties, get (1) Knorr Rice Side or Pasta Side, 3.8-5.9oz Free
- 8/17-8/30: $1.00 off Country Crock 30oz, assorted varieties
- 8/17-8/30: Buy (1) Knorr Granulated Bouillon 2.2lb, assorted varieties, get (1) HEB 16oz rice, assorted varieties and (1) Hill Country Fare Dry Pinto Beans 2lb bag, Free
- 8/17-8/23: $1.00 off (1) Dove Hair Care Product, excluding travel sizes
I not only want the back-to-school season to be easier on me, but I want that for every single parent that has school-aged children. I know how hard it is. And if we make it easier on ourselves, our children will reap the benefits. And that’s really what it’s all about anyways — our children.
Make sure to visit your local H-E-B to take advantage of in-store offers as well as digital offers on HEB.com on Unilever products during the back-to-school season.
I’d love to hear your easy recipes for the back-to-school season! Leave them below.