This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CrispyCreations #CrispyChicken #FriedChicken #CollectiveBias
Bang Bang Chicken is a popular Chinese dish that has a crunchy, crispy exterior and is drizzled with a delicious sauce right before serving. It is also sometimes referred to as Bon Bon Chicken.
Bite-sized pieces of chicken are coated in an Argo® Corn Starch and flour mixture and fried to a beautiful golden brown before being drizzled in a creamy sweet and spicy sauce.
The crispy chicken pieces paired with the sauce provide a delicious meal the entire family can enjoy.
When it comes to fried chicken, I like my chicken extra crunchy with an outside so crispy that you can hear each bite. I mean, is it even fried chicken without the crunch? I don’t think so!
When I was making this Bang Bang Chicken recipe, my main goal was a crispy chicken that also had an airy texture. Much like the types of coatings you usually see in Chinese cuisine, with the help of Argo® Corn Starch (my secret ingredient), I was able to achieve the crispiest chicken with an airy texture that will make your mouth water. Did I mention it is naturally gluten free?
It’s so good, y’all!
Although Argo® Corn Starch is often used as a thickening agent for sauces and soups and in Asian stir-fries, when used in your batter to fry chicken, it will leave you with an audibly crunchy and beautifully browned exterior while sealing in all those juices.
It is arguably the most important part of this Bang Bang Chicken recipe. If you like crispy fried chicken as much as I do, don’t skip the Argo® Corn Starch!
Bang Bang Sauce
Bang Bang Sauce is a spicy, sweet, and creamy sauce that is perfect on proteins such as chicken and shrimp. It’s really such a delicious and easy sauce to make. With just the right amount of sweet and the right amount of spicy, it’s suitable for pretty much any palette.
I love Bang Bang Sauce on chicken, but it also pairs really well with shrimp. If you haven’t tried it yet, do it! So good.
Cooking Tips for the Crispiest Chicken
Cast iron skillet: When frying any foods, I always reach for my beloved cast iron skillet. The even heating and heat retention of the skillet makes it perfect when frying.
Argo® Corn Starch: It’s my secret ingredient to getting the crispiest chicken with a light and airy texture. While traditionally used to thicken sauces or in baking, it works great in chicken batter.
Metal tongs: Being able to turn the chicken quickly when frying helps to get the perfect golden brown exterior.
Want more recipes using Argo® Corn Starch? Check out all these recipes and fun activities. Argo® Corn Starch is the leading corn starch brand with over 100 years of quality and trust over multiple generations.
While most people think of Bang Bang Chicken as an appetizer, it can also be used a main dish. Some serving suggestions include:
- wrapped in lettuce leaves for lettuce wraps
- wrapped in a flour tortilla
- served with steamed green beans on the side
- served alongside a veggie stir-fry
Don’t forget to pin this tasty chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!
Bang Bang Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup Argo® Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Crack eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk. In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and flour.
- Place cut up chicken into the whisked eggs. Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken and mix with hands. Make sure all of the chicken pieces are coated with the egg mixture.
- Coat the chicken piece by piece in the cornstarch mixture. After coating put on a plate until all pieces are coated.
- Pour about an inch of oil into a cast iron skillet and heat up on medium. You will know the oil is ready when you put a wooden spoon into the oil and bubbles form around the spoon and rise to the top of the oil.
- Working in batches, making sure not to crowd the skillet, carefully place coated chicken pieces into hot oil. I like to use tongs for this part so I don't accidentally burn myself.
- Cook the chicken for about 3-4 minutes or until you see the batter turning a golden brown on the sides. Using the tongs, flip each piece of chicken and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is a nice, golden brown.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the skillet and put on a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat until you've cooked all the chicken.
- To make the Bang Bang Sauce, pour the sweet chili sauce, hot sauce, mayonnaise, and honey into a small bowl and stir using a fork. Stir until all there are no more mayonnaise lumps.
- Drizzle the sauce over the cooked chicken. If you have any remaining sauce, save it for dipping.
Using cornstarch in the coating mixture will result in the crispiest chicken.
You could also use chicken breasts if you want white meat chicken.
You will likely not use all of the cornstarch mixture or the egg mixture. The nutritional facts include the entire amounts of these products.
If you want a lighter Bang Bang Sauce, you could sub the mayonnaise for low-fat mayonnaise or a light Greek yogurt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 22g