It’s that time of year again where the oven and mixers start working overtime to help you prepare all the sweet treats your heart desires. Since we are celebrating Christmas early with some of our extended family, I decided to get in the kitchen and whip up some Caramel Apple Streusel Squares.
The aroma that filled the house as the Caramel Apple Streusel Squares were baking away in the oven was absolutely delightful. I mean, who doesn’t love the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg?? I was feeling a little overwhelmed at the amount of time it took during preparation, but the aroma that filled my house was worth all the effort.
Coring, peeling and slicing the apples was a bit of a chore and took me quite a while, but it was all worth it when this beauty came out of the oven. I let it sit to cool down a bit, and the whole time I watched as my children would slowly walk by to see if it had cooled down enough. When I thought it was firm enough that I could actually cut into it, I cut it into squares and paired it with some good ‘ole vanilla ice cream.
The vote was unanimous. It was a hit all the way around!
- 2¼ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1⅓ cups quick-cooking oats
- ⅔ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ cup cold butter, cut up
- 5 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 (12¼ oz.) jar Smucker’s® Caramel Flavored Topping, divided
- Vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1¾ cups crumb mixture and press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- Arrange apples over partially baked crust. Mix sweetened condensed milk and ½ cup caramel topping until blended. Pour evenly over apples. Sprinkle reserved crumble mixture over apple layer.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool in pan on wire rack. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream and remaining caramel topping.
If you’d like to recreate this recipe in your own kitchen, I’ve got a giveaway just for you!
One (1) winner will receive an Eagle Brand Perfect Pairings Prize Pack that includes Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk – Regular, Low Fat and Fat Free varieties, $100 Walmart gift card, bakers box packaging set, spice measuring spoons, and baking scale and has a retail value of $250!
How to Enter:
Simply visit the Eagle Brand website and leave me a comment below letting me know another recipe you’d like to try!
Extra Entries Available:
After you have completed the first entry, you are eligible for additional entries. Make sure you leave a separate comment for EACH entry. Each counts as one extra entry unless noted otherwise.
- Subscribe to Simply Being Mommy by reader or email.
- Follow Simply Being Mommy on Pinterest.
- Add Simply Being Mommy (Crystal Reagan) on Google+.
- Join the Simply Being Mommy Community.
- “Like” Simply Being Mommy on Facebook.
- Follow Simply Being Mommy on Twitter AND Tweet about the giveaway. Leave the URL to the Tweet in your comment. You can tweet once a day, but remember to leave the URL to each tweet. You must have at least 50 followers for this extra entry. You can tweet ” #Win a $250 Eagle Brand Perfect Pairings Prize Pack that includes a $100 Walmart Gift Card from @simplybeingmom http://bit.ly/SF4uYP #giveaway “