Pollo Guisado, also know as Stewed Chicken, is a delicious way to cook up some chicken for your family.
I thoroughly enjoy getting in the chicken and creating something delicious for friends and family. What’s even better though, is when my family gets in the kitchen with me and we make it a fun, family activity.
As with almost every single recipe I recreate, I never follow the directions completely. Most of the time it’s either because we don’t have that ingredient at home, or someone in the family doesn’t like that particular ingredient. This time, however, it was because I forgot the carrots at the store.
But whatever, I always make it work!
But even without the carrots, we love Pollo Guisado!
What I really love about making Pollo Guisado is how easy it is to make. There’s no fancy equipment required or any incredible skills needed — just simple, fresh ingredients.
By using the tomato bouillon with chicken flavor, I didn’t have to add any additional spices. The garlic and bouillon did a great job at creating a wonderful, appetizing flavor.
There are always compliments when I serve Pollo Guisado! Even the pickiest eaters enjoy the bold flavors.
You can serve it as a soup, serve with homemade, fresh tortillas and make tacos, or as simple as a chicken and rice dish. It’s totally up to you. But any way you decide to serve Pollo Guisado, I’m pretty sure you’ll love it.
Pollo Guisado Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of tomato bouillon with chicken flavor (I used Knorr)
- 2 pounds chicken thighs with skin and bone or chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green squash, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes unsalted
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon tomato bouillon with chicken flavor evenly over chicken. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken about 4 minutes, turning until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the onion, peppers, zucchini and 1 tablespoon tomato bouillon with chicken flavor, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir; cook until it becomes aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and carefully place the chicken in the pan. Cook over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low temperature, and cook covered about 30 minutes. Serve with hot cooked rice.
Optional: Garnish with chopped cilantro chicken and shredded cheese, if desired.