With St. Patrick’s Day approaching really quickly I thought I would share one last St. Patrick’s Day recipe for this year. This St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow is really easy to make and it’s relatively inexpensive, too. Cheap and easy, the perfect combination for a fun, seasonal recipe.
This year I’ve shared several St. Patrick’s Day recipes with you including this gorgeous St. Patrick’s Day Parfait, these easy Shamrock Pretzel Pops, Shamrock Cinnamon Rolls, and Shamrock Pretzel Bites, and these super fun Edible Gold Oreos. I’ve had a really great time being in the kitchen creating special treats for St. Patrick’s Day.
With all these fun St. Patrick’s Day recipes, you should be able to throw the ULTIMATE St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow Tips
While I normally use chocolate in my puppy chow recipes, I thought using green candy melts was a great way to give it a slight green color. It doesn’t show well in the photos, but the green from the candy melts does show through behind the powdered sugar.
Making St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow is a great way to celebrate the holiday!
Don’t forget to pin this to St. Patrick’s Day boards. And if you’re not following on Pinterest, head on over and follow me now. You don’t want to miss all the goodies I’m pinning.
St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe
- 6 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 3 cups candy melts - I used green & white
- 1/8 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Other Items Needed:
- large (gallon-sized) zippered plastic baggy
- soft-tipped spatula
- green sugar sprinkles
- Put the Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Add powdered sugar to a large zippered plastic baggy and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the candy melts according the directions on the package. Once the candy melts are melted and smooth, stir in the mint extract until combined.
- Pour melted candy melts into the large bowl over the cereal. Gently mix together with a soft-tipped spatula or something like it. Be careful while stirring so that the cereal doesn't break into small pieces. Stir until the cereal is coated evenly with the melted candy melts.
- Pour the mixture into the bag with the powdered sugar and seal. Gently shake the baggy until all the cereal pieces are coated with powdered sugar.
- Pour on to a large baking sheet and allow to cool.
This St. Patrick's Day Puppy Chow should keep for at least 3 days when stored in an airtight container or bag.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 131mg Carbohydrates: 86g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 55g Protein: 1g
St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow is the perfect green and minty snack! But beware y’all, it’s highly addictive and it will be incredibly hard to stop popping these yummy treats in your mouth!
Need more St. Patrick’s Day inspiration? I’ve got you covered: