The last couple of months I’ve been creating recipe using Johnsonville products and then sharing those recipes here with you (hopefully you’ve been enjoying them). The first month I created the Italian Sausage Rigatoni in Tomato Basil Sauce with Peppers and Kale and then last month I created the Whole Wheat Pancake Sausage Muffins.
This month my challenge was to create No Ordinary Burger using either the new Johnsonville Brat or Johnsonville Italian Sausage Patties. Since my store did not carry the Johnsonville Brat Patties, I created my burger using Johnsonville Italian Sausage Patties.
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 Johnsonville Italian Sausage Patties
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 6 slices cheese (we used Pepper Jack)
- 6 tablespoons of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 12-18 onion rings (2-3 per burger)
- Preheat grill to medium-low. Place frozen patties on the grill. Grill 15-18 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F, turning occasionally. While the patties are cooking away on the grill, start cooking the onion rings as directed on the package and fry the bacon until it’s slightly crispy. Drain the excess grease by placing the bacon on a couple sheets of paper towels.
- To assemble the burger, starting from the bottom up, place cooked Johnsonville Italian Sausage Pattie on bottom hamburger bun. Top with cheese, barbeque sauce, onion rings and finish with the bacon. Place the top hamburger bun on top of the pile of goodness and ENJOY!
If you are a fan of Italian Sausage, then you’ll really appreciate the boldness and full flavor of this burger. It’s definitely a different flavor from the beef burger you’re used to, but I think you’ll like it.
The pictures really do not do this burger justice. It was after dark when we made these, so the lack of natural lighting really did nothing at all for the pictures. But regardless of picture quality, you should definitely give the Johnsonville Italian Sausage Patties a try.