With three children in school we are constantly on the go. After dropping off my two older children at their school, I have to take my youngest to Pre-K at another school. In the afternoon, I do the same routine. With my GMC Acadia Denali, I burn a lot of gas. And when I’m only getting 15 MPG, my checkbook takes a big hit.
John and Helen Taylor, known as the worlds most economical drivers holding 92 records, took the time to give me some tips based on my driving habits. They are passionate about helping reduce carbon emissions and showing drivers how to cut transportation costs by applying simple tips which are mentioned in the video below.
I live just north of the Houston area and was surprised by some of these statistics of Houston drivers:
- Drivers in Houston waste a total of more than 118 million hours annually due to congestion and more than 52 million gallons of gasoline*
- 53% of drivers in Houston are bothered when they see people wasting energy and 55% see it as a waste of resources – this is as much or more than Californians!
- 77% of drivers in Houston believe being fuel efficient is an important way to personally use resources in a more sustainable way, beyond being an important way to save (86%) – this is remarkable from the Energy Capital of the World
- 75% agree they would change the way they drive to save money on fuel
- 41% of Houston drivers would be more active in saving fuel if someone showed them how – in the Greater Houston area, that’s more people than fill Reliant Stadium, Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center and the BBVA Compass stadium (for the Houston Dynamo) put together than want help to be fuel efficient.
- Houstonians drive more miles annually than motorists in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and New York, and are more likely to have three or more vehicles than those markets.
*Based on data from the 2012 Urban Mobility Report published by the Texas A&M Transportation Institute
I’ll definitely be using some of these simple tips to help save money on motoring costs. I hate to think that I’m wasting $.23 for each dollar just by not doing these simple things when driving around town! I encourage you to check out the Target One Million fuel efficiency game and see how you score. Remember, you may be throwing money away with your driving habits.
Three (3) winners will receive a $50 Shell Gift Card!
How to Enter:
Simply leave me a comment below letting me know how you drive more fuel efficiently!
Extra Entries Available:
After you have completed the first entry, you are eligible for additional entries. Make sure you leave a separate comment for EACH entry. Each counts as one extra entry unless noted otherwise.
- Subscribe to Simply Being Mommy by reader or email.
- Follow me on Pinterest.
- Add Simply Being Mommy (Crystal Reagan) on Google+.
- “Like” Simply Being Mommy on Facebook.
- Follow Simply Being Mommy on Twitter AND Tweet about the giveaway. Leave the URL to the Tweet in your comment. You can tweet once a day, but remember to leave the URL to each tweet. You must have at least 50 followers for this extra entry. You can tweet ” Enter to win one of three $50 @Shell gift cards from @simplybeingmom http://bit.ly/116TcxV #giveaway “