I’m sitting here on my couch wondering how in the world did it get to be April already. It seems just like yesterday we were celebrating a new year and now, in just a few days, we will be celebrating Easter.
And you know what that means…Easter treats!
This Easter, I’ve teamed up with Kellogg’s and they sent me some of the supplies to make Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats! This was a fun project and one the whole family can participate in!
What makes these treats special is that inside each and every Rice Krispies Egg, there are M&M’s waiting inside. So not only do you get to experience the delectable goodness of the Rice Krispies Eggs, you get a nice chocolately surprise inside.
This project took a while to complete and there was some trial and error along the way. Although this isn’t what I call an easy recipe, it is worth the all the time and effort involved.
- 3 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular Marshmallows OR 4 cups of miniature Marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies Cereal
- ½ cup M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies (plus some for snacking)
- Canned frosting or decorating gel (optional)
- 12 plastic snap-apart 3x2-inch Easter eggs
- Thoroughly clean Easter eggs then coat inside of plastic eggs with cooking spray. Set aside
- In large saucepan, melt butter or margarine over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- If your saucepan is large enough, add Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal and stir until well coated. If your saucepan is not big enough, add Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal to a large bowl and pour marshmallow mixture on top, stirring until well coated.
- Using greased hands, firmly press ¼ cup of cereal mixture into each plastic egg half. Use fingers to make hollow center in each half. (TIP: Use a rounded tablespoon measuring spoon and press firmly in the center of each egg. This will make hollowing out the center much easier.) I used a mini muffin pan to hold the egg halves upright while I was finishing the whole batch.
- Once the eggs have set, remove from molds and place on wax paper.
- Place about six M&M's in each egg half. Gently press two halves of each egg together until they stick. You will have to have patience and keep pressing and molding around the seam.
- Let cool completely and decorate with frosting and M&M's, if desired. I used melted semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkles for ours.
I won’t lie and say there weren’t any times when I wanted to scream, ditch the project and go cry on my bed…but, the finished product and the family time was worth all the frustration. I’m sure most of my problems were caused from the 90 degree weather here in Texas, so hopefully, if you try this, you won’t have the trouble we did.
One (1) winner will receive a Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats Basket which includes a Ribbon Easter basket, Box of Rice Krispies, bag of Marshmallows and Recipe Card!
How to Enter:
Simply leave me a comment below letting me know one of your family’s Easter traditions!
Extra Entries Available:
After you have completed the first entry, you are eligible for additional entries. Make sure you leave a separate comment for EACH entry. Each counts as one extra entry unless noted otherwise.
- Subscribe to Simply Being Mommy by reader or email.
- Add Simply Being Mommy (Crystal Reagan) on Google+.
- Join the Simply Being Mommy Community.
- “Like” Simply Being Mommy , Kellogg’s and Kellogg’s Rice Krispies on Facebook.
- Follow Simply Being Mommy on Twitter AND Tweet about the giveaway. Leave the URL to the Tweet in your comment. You can tweet once a day, but remember to leave the URL to each tweet. You must have at least 50 followers for this extra entry. You can tweet ” #Win a Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats Basket from @SimplyBeingMom http://bit.ly/HBpVrj #giveaway “